Sunday, March 13, 2011

Made for Mail Artists

While looking for postcard dimension limitations and just general cruisin' around the USPS official website, I found this presentation.

As I read through it, it sounds like the presentation was positively made for mail artists!! (Click the above link if you'd like to read the whole thing, but it is very much like a script with few breaks. =P)

The presentation discusses what is appropriate for the U.S. postal system and what is not appropriate. What makes mail machinable or non-machinable. Mailable or non mailable. Things like lengthxheight dimensions and weight restrictions and aspect ratios! Oh my!What sorts of things you can put in envelopes. Why the post office rejects certain pieces.

Here is a quote: "Sometimes when we are designing a mailpiece, we are thinking of what the customer will think when they open the item. This does not always coincide with postal requirements for automation."

Interestingly enough, many of the regulations are put in place to protect not only your mail pieces but also the post office's machines and equipment!!

It appears that the article was written for mass mailers and not so much mail artists but I think many of the things in the presentation could be applied to mail art.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mish! Yeah, I eat 'pirozhki'. My grandma used to make lots of them, many kinds, with candies, meat,cabbage,etc.
    If you have a recipe, I'll tell you if it is Russian or not. but probably they all are the same around the world eheh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for popping by my found art blog!! It's so cool to find out where my stuff ends up!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! They make me smile!